Say Yes to RSVP’s and make actual dates/plans to hang out and socialize with another human being.
Yes, I started with the biggest one.
We are relying way too much on electronic communication that we are losing what makes us human.
There are times when financially you cant walk out your own front door without owing money somehow. But if you WANT to socialize, there are ways to still do face to face interactions. Get creative when talking with the other person. Maybe have a potluck Netflix date at your place? Picnic outside while kids run in the sprinklers. Grab your nail polish out from the drawer, smash up an avocado and slice a cucumber, you and your girls can have a spa day inside while binge watching Legally Blonde.
Amazing memories don’t have to cost a thing. They just need a little effort and planning.
Believe in yourself a little more
This one is tough for those of us with social anxiety and naturally awkward introverts. Even more so if we’ve overcome some abusive past relationship. The second guessing, unknown and stress we cause ourselves because we don’t want to choose incorrectly is eating us alive.
So to challenge 2019, take a deep breathe and push “yes”, turn left, try something on the menu that doesn’t have a preview picture.
Take a risk on yourself, if there is something holding you back, push past it and really feel like you give this chance your all. It could be the best decision you ever made. It could just be a waste of time. The gamble is worth it if it makes you truly happy though, and it settles the unknown. No more “what if’s” because everything will be certain. It either does or does not.
Give gifts from the heart
Birthdays, Holidays, anniversaries and any other gift giving reason you may have this year. Give a gift that’s truly heartfelt. Hand made, personalized, made to the taste of the recipient. Putting that much extra effort will make you feel the Christmas spirit all year long. Will let the gift getter know that you care, and most of the time gifts from the heart are cheaper on the wallet.
Random Acts of Kindness
Try to do at least one thing for someone else each week. Holding open a door, smiling at a stranger or paying someone’s coffee tab are 3 common ones.
7 random Acts of Kindness that Don’t Cost ANYTHING:
- Join your local Buy Nothing Facebook group and GIVE something away free to someone in need.
- Be honest, even if it makes you look bad. Honesty goes a long way and at the end of the day, it’s always the better route. Clears your conscious and helps you sleep better at night.
- Recycle. Probably something that you’re doing right now and don’t even realize the impact it has on others. But recycling is a pretty big thing. Saving environment, animals, etc. Take it one step further and snip the plastic rings around soda packs.
- Leave a nice comment on the internet. These days the internet is full of hateful trolls and people tearing each other down. Be a stand-out and do something nice by leaving a mood lifting comment.
- Donate to charity. Old toys, clothes, blankets or things around the house going unused collecting dust. These could go a long way in the charity you choose to donate to. It cleans up your living space and does something beneficial to someone else. #DoubleWin
- Do a customer service satisfaction survey and compliment your cashier/server. They usually get some sort of bonus/prize for good reviews. Plus it makes them feel like what they do actually matters.
- Donate blood. This one is not for the squeamish, diseased or faint of heart. But donating blood is a great way to help a stranger. Your body makes more, so you don’t even really miss it. Added bonus is it could save someone else’s life! Talk about good Karma.
You may see a trend with this thread..
Most if not all of these tips are in regards to helping others. Studies show that people who help other people, are actually healthier and happier. Make 2019 the best year you’ve ever had, by stepping out of your comfort zone and giving assistance to your fellow human beings.
They’ll feel better, you’ll feel better.
And the circle goes around and around until everyone is helping everyone and smiles are all around. Its like that song from Jackie DeShannon- what the world needs now is love, sweet love. It’s the only thing that there’s just too little of.
As far as the stepping out of your comfort zone, portion of this post..
If you’ve ever heard the expression “fake it until you make it,” it’s usually said in regards to happiness. But the expression still applies very well to comfort zones and expanding your horizons. I can personally attest to this, as I am a naturally awkward introvert. Blogging is a VERY social thing to do, so getting out there and communicating and responding to readers and followers on social media platforms is very much out of my comfort zone. By faking it, and forcing myself to be as social as possible online, I’m finding myself much more sure of myself in real life. I’m initiating conversations with strangers and genuinely more happy and appreciative of the things around me.
I truly hope your 2019 is great, thanks for reading.